Monday, August 07, 2006

Pygmalion effect

In management there is a pair of theories: Theory X and theory Y

Theory X management assumes employees are inherently lazy and will avoid work if they can. Because of this workers need to be closely supervised and comprehensive systems of controls developed.

Theory Y management assumes employees are ambitious, self-motivated, anxious to accept greater responsibility, and exercise self-control and self-direction. It is believed that employees enjoy their mental and physical work activities.

I have managed people for more than 12 years and in my opinion both theories are self-fulfilling prophecies.

If you believed in people they will reward you for your trust. I always said the people are "innocent unless proven guilty”. When I meet someone I start by trusting him and in 12 years of work experience I was very rarely wrong. It’s like your trust shape people behavior.

What you give is what you get.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home